Saturday, August 26, 2017

Up, Up, and AWAY


I flew today.

No, not with my body, with my hands. And a controller. And a drone.

It was awesome.

  Mind you, this new drone of mine has been collecting dust for nearly a month since it showed up on my doorstep. I haven't been able to take it out due to an overly busy and exhausting life. Until today, that is. It was SO worth the wait.
  I had, naturally, familiarized myself with the operation, tech specifics, app, and all that stuff, and I had charged the batteries and powered everything on. I hadn't ever turned the rotors, though, or tested it in any way. Part of me was worried that I would make the 45 minute drive out of town, turn everything on, and it would fly. But fly it did!
  After a short hike to the canyon you see above, I hooked everything up, powered on the controller, the app, and the drone. Pre-flight checks ran and told me I was ready for liftoff. I excitedly powered up the rotors and they whirred to life! With a big smile on my face, I pressed and held the "takeoff" button. The engines revved, and the drone rose swiftly and smoothly into the sky.
  At a modest altitude, it hovered, waiting for my commands. I took a moment to orient myself with the controls, and then ventured out over the canyon.
  I'll let the video do the rest of the speaking. Can't wait to take it out again and do more.



.



1 comment: