Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston




  For hours now, the world has known of the shocking attack on the Boston Marathon. We've watched as the casualty count climbed, as it often does in these awful circumstances. We've waited for an explanation- who did this? Why? Often, these questions are not easily answered.
  As human beings, we're designed to be empathetic. We hurt when others hurt. We also feel shock and, later, rage. We want- we DEMAND- reprisal. In a word, we want revenge on those who've hurt us.
  As a person of faith, I'm not blind to this. One of the biggest personal struggles I've dealt with is to not seek revenge. I'm telling you this only to illustrate that I understand how people are feeling right now; especially those who were personally affected by today's events. But revenge is not the answer. Hurt for hurt doesn't do anything except cause more hurt. I'm not saying we shouldn't find those responsible and bring them to justice- we absolutely should. I'm simply calling for a hush to the bloodlust that usually erupts around these acts of violence. I know that our intel community is working hard this very minute to to find the responsible party, and I wish them nothing but success.
  Of course, I will continue to pray for those who were wounded today, and for the families and friends who lost loved ones. I'm deeply grieved that our nation is becoming such an unsafe place to live. It seems these days like you can't go anywhere without risking your life. Schools, movie theatres, shopping malls, restaurants, public transit, offices, marathons- all of them have been targets of unimaginable horror. What we can't do, though, is give in. We can't stay at home and let those who would visit these acts on us scare us into not living our lives. It doesn't really matter in the end whether today's bombing turns out to be the work of a foreign terrorist or a domestic one. The result is the same.
  I'll also be including those responsible in my prayers tonight. One of the greatest revelations that's come out of my walk with God is that we often forget, as we pray for victims, that it is the ugliest and most evil who often need our prayers the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment