Friday, May 8, 2009

...and he's okay!

  So, the surgery went well, with a few minor post-complications. When I woke up in ICU, I was shaking violently from some side effects of the anesthesia, and the pain was bad enough for me to ask for meds. Once all of that got under control, they put me in recovery, and I rested up for about an hour while Mom came in and stayed with me. I was helped to the dressing room shortly and then put in a wheelchair to be discharged. I had convinced the staff and myself that I was fine. Mom went to pull the Jeep around, and while she was gone, I suddenly got seriously ill and passed out.
   They say I was unresponsive for a short time, and it got everybody a little worried. I woke up with a team of eight people around me, and I was so disoriented that I didn't know where I was or what was hapenning. Somebody ran out and told Mom, and she came back in, naturally a little concerned. I got the shakes again really bad and started vomiting blood. They sent a specialist in to hook me up to the EKG and check out my heart. For some reason, they were worried that there could be something a little heavier wrong with me. Since my original IV had already been pulled out, they had to re-tap me, and the post-op nurse had a hard time with it. She attempted three times to successfully thread the tube into both of my hands, but failed.
  Eventually, she found an anesthesiologist who came and tapped my arm. They filled me with a couple of bags of saline over about an hour and put some warm blankets on me to get me to stop shaking. They also dripped some anti-nausea meds, which pretty well knocked me out. Finally, at about 8:00pm, they discharged me a second time. I made it home, had some food and got a fairly decent amount of sleep, despite having to be in an uncomfortable position all night.
  Today has been pretty much a normal day, except for the constant flow of blood out of my face and the bandage changing that accompanies it. The pain is mild at worst, and I've been up and about almost doing my normal routine. My caretaker is keeping me from getting too out of hand and making me take it easy, but it's already driving me crazy after only one day of recovery. Hopefully tomorrow we can go do something. Cabin fever!!!
  My Mom, being awesome, humored me by taking pictures of the day's events:

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are out of the woods and sleeping despite all trauma.