Thursday, February 25, 2010

Here I go


  Tomorrow, immediately after I wrap things up in DC, I fly to New York. Saturday, I’ll wake up, have a small breakfast, warm my voice up, and then make my way to Pearl Studios for what is easily the most important audition I’ve ever had.
  I’m feeling mixed amounts of stress right now. I’m confident in both my monologues, and I feel like they’re very strong. I’m comfortable with the choices I’ve made in how I’m interpreting them. But, I’m still admittedly feeling weak about my song. I wish I could just add about two or three more years of singing experience into my body. I’m at a very frustrated stage right now with my voice and a lack of consistency. Angela has been very patient and supportive and is the best voice teacher a guy could ask for. Yet, I still have so many hangups about singing for people, especially in this context, where it’s going to be judged. The further I’ve gone in my training, the harder I’ve made it for myself by over-focusing on technique.
  All of that aside, I’m looking forward to this. Regardless of the outcome, it’s going to be a worthwhile experience. The sheer fact that I’m going to New York to audition for a prestigious London acting school inspires me deeply. I was contacted by a director this week and offered ensemble work and understudy for a lead role at a professional theatre. That was a tremendous boost to my professional ego and gave me a much needed shot in the arm. Unfortunately, I had to turn it down due to scheduling conflicts. But most importantly, they know me, and somebody has liked my work.
  I guess there really isn’t much more to say. I’ll report back, of course, just as soon as I can. I’m going to hang out with a friend of mine up there tomorrow night, and hopefully that’ll help me unwind a bit and not obsess over details too much. Break me a leg, everybody!



1 comment:

  1. Dude, get a hat and go down to your local farmers market. Drop hat on ground, start singing. It's not about the money, it's about the instant exposure. Do this over and over again. Then do it some more.

    First day out, don't stop until you sing for 100 people.

    ReplyDelete