Friday, May 21, 2010

London Call(back)ing



  Well, I finally got the official times and requirements for the LAMDA callback coming up in just a couple of short weeks. It's a doozy.
  The audition starts at 10:00 in the morning and goes until roughly 5:30. I've never been to an all-day audition before, nor have I had to prepare so many pieces. They're really going to put us through our paces!
  First, we'll be doing some movement and improv. I always sweat improv, because I feel like I'm not going to be quick enough to come up with anything decent. I was actually part of a small improv troupe once for about two weeks. Much to my delight, I never froze up in front of the audience. Still not my strongest suit, though.
  Next, I'll be performing two monologues, just like the New York audition. One Elizabethan, one modern. I'm flip-flopping them this time and doing a comedic Shakespeare scene and a dramatic contemporary scene (as yet undetermined). Since I'm working on Petruchio from "Taming of the Shrew" right now, I'm going to use that.
  Then, it's singing time. Again, I'll be borrowing from what I'm working on right now, which is "Put on a Happy Face" from Bye-Bye Birdie. I'm singing that at my retical this weekend (yikes), so it should be in good shape to sing unaccompanied for the LAMDA board.
  Next, I'm to perform one of three scenes that were included in the packet. They are all Elizabethan pieces, and I'll be performing one (unrehearsed, obviously) with a LAMDA graduate. That'll be interesting.
  But wait, there's more! Lastly, I'll be given a piece on the spot that I will have to sight-read. Not that I plan to be over-confident, but this is one of my stronger skills. I can generally pick up any script or sides and read them out loud with emotion and intent the first time through. I'm anxious to see what kind of text they'll have for this.
  So, yeah, it's a lot. Couple that with the two scenes I'm working on for school already, a soliloquy I have to perform for another class, and the recital, and that makes for one busy boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment